I cannot believe how fast the summer has gone by. I am leaving for Spain in less than four days! I am quite mix of excitement, anxiety, and nervousness. As some of you may know, Fulbright does not provide housing. They will put us up at a residencia for two weeks during which time I need to find an apartment. This is quite nerve racking for me as I will be moving to a foreign country without having secured housing or having a telephone contact number. Thus, all I will be taking with me are two suitcases, a carry on, and an email address for people to get in contact with me.
In preparation for my trip, I have created a list of goals that I want to accomplish while in Spain. Below I have listed most of the things that I would like accomplish.
- Find an apartment!
- Become fluent in Spanish
- Try lots of new foods and learn how to cook some authentic Spanish dishes
- Visit at least six countries and go to
- Learn to navigate the metro system in
- Become familiar with the neighborhood I live in and explore other neighborhoods in
- Become a better teacher and teach my students different world views
- Stay in contact with friends and family
- Take lots of photos
- Volunteer and get my students involved as well
- Go to a concert, theater, and flameco performance
- Learn to be more laid back and not have everything planned ahead of time
- Visit a temple, mosque, and church
- Make friends with Spaniards
- Host a dinner party
- Enjoy reading an entire book in Spanish
- Buy a piece of art from my travels
Find an intercambio partner with whom I can practice Spanish
Please let me know if you have any other suggestions to add to my goal list or any travel advice.
I have already purchased an international student ID card, but opted not to by a Eurorail pass because they are only good for up to three months and I don't when I will do the bulk of my travel. Plus there are a couple of cheap airlines that fly within Europe.